All times are UTC

Post subject: Question - How many of you actually enjoy the game still?
PostPosted: August 21st, 2016, 7:03 am 
Veteran Artist

I remember falling in love with this game back when the titans still had their chunky "tofu" models. I also remember falling back into love with the game after I had found about the RC Mod and its skinning community.

At this point however, although I hold nostalgia for both the game itself and the aotskins, I just cannot enjoy either nearly as much as I did before. So I must ask. How do you guys feel about the game at this point?

In case I happen to disappear off the face of the earth (again), feel free to use and edit my skins. Be sure to give credit.

Post subject: Re: Question - How many of you actually enjoy the game still
PostPosted: August 21st, 2016, 8:01 pm 

Medals: 1
I`m not too sure how long my response will be so I`ll be putting it in a spoiler in case it`s too long.

My thoughts on the game itself.

Spoiler:
I still enjoy it. You can`t experience the same thing twice. There`s a few different maps and game modes even without RC, different titans of different sizes, and a choice between blades and AHSS. Add in RC or AC and you can change the modes however and whenever you like. You can even make your own maps for even more variety. I still play almost daily and for hours on end. I still find new ways to move around and hook things in different spots for different angles of flight and kill titans in different ways from different positions and speeds. (Over the head and flying behind with AHSS are always fun to land). With all that said I haven`t even done Annie and Colossal titan maps that often so I have more I can do in the future as well.

I`ve played AoTTG since early 2014 so I`ve been able to make an official account in the game. That also means, I`ve seen the decline of the game over time with the email servers going down bringing legit accounts as well and eventually the game`s last update to date early 2015.

The game isn`t perfect. There`s many glitches within it. You can get grabbed as your hook hits something and fall out of the world among other things. Lag between players is also an issue that can`t really be helped, but I know at least one person reading this would want it to be mentioned anyway. Plus as stated a moment ago, the game isn`t being updated anymore. This is a turnoff for most people because they`ve either played for a long amount of time and want a change, they`re new and want to see more from Feng, or they`re just wanting to see the game improved overall with more characters. I do understand what they`re wishing and I somewhat wonder what would come from an update.

Mostly because I don`t see much that could be done at this point to change the gameplay besides some bug fixes. In terms of models and textures I do see a lot that could be updated. As someone that makes skins I really dislike the male casual models. They look really strange to me and the textures for them wrap in a way that doesn`t make sense to me. That is mostly my fault however so it isn`t important here.

There have been mods for this game for years. Ones to boost your character to unfair levels, mods to kill and ruin the game for others, mods to stop abusive mods from effecting them, mods to stop people from even being able to host servers for long amount of times. I`ve seen just about all of them. The fact mods are still being made mostly shows that the game is still being acknowledged in one way or another. I don`t feel like most of them are necessary but I also know there`ll be no way to stop them. Mods are unfortunately hardwired into the game at this point. Good or bad, they`ll be here to stay.

One positive to all of these mods was the skinning mods. (Basically just RC with clones following after.) It brought a bit more life to the game with people making skins for other players, and giving birth to Aotskins. This game is the only one where you can officially say; "As Spiderman with flames coming from my waist, I went around killing multiple giant Dora the Explorer, Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario/Luigi with a keyblade, and a Leek." People just accepted that and tried to make up their own crazy stories. Which brings me to my next spoiler.

How I feel about the community.
Spoiler:
When I first joined AoTTG I didn`t really know much about what was going on. My ex girlfriend had showed me the game but only played with me a few times. I didn`t get into public servers until two weeks after she had showed me the game. When I did play in public servers I always had somebody to talk to when I joined. It was never about doing things alone. It was most often us working together to see how fast we could kill all 10 titans in city or if we could survive the crawlers in forest. It was a group of people having fun.

Now days, It`s about how well you can do in game. If you`re able to 3k in forest. Talking between players isn`t as common and when you do see it it`s a 'pro' player waiting for the guests to die, insults from somebody for random reasons, guests asking to be revived or for the other players to die which also can come from players with names, or even guests entering a server and immediately typing "plz no kick". It`s gotten that bad. Even
TheBellFox attempted to bring attention to the issues with guests. They`re people too. I won`t go into detail about it but you can view her post by clicking her name.

I don`t like how the community is turning out. You can almost always find a server with one person yelling and complaining about lag, how 'terrible' other players are, or how "Feng needs to get his (Censored) together and update the (Censored) game already." On top of all of this, there`s the issues with mods now. People will use them to kick players ranging from guests to AHSS just for joining a server or just anybody for 'kill stealing' a titan they weren`t even near.

Turning the 'acceptable' mods into abusive ones is another problem. For a random example, SLB is a clone of RC mod. The creator took most assets from random mods and threw them into their own mod. (Even the Aottg mod creator wikia doesn`t give him much attention or respect for making it.) There`s so many mods that will continue to pop up that nobody will be able to play without seeing one.

As a closing to this I will end on a more positive note. Because of this game`s community I`ve met some amazing people. They`ve helped me start making art again after the 4 years I had stopped, I made some amazing friends who I know will be around for many more years, and I wouldn`t be here without them. Seeing kind people may be rare now days but when you find the "Diamond in the rough" you`re almost guaranteed a new friend. I love the times I`m able to talk with people without damage or insults constantly flying. I hope to see more people like that one day.

As a summary I`ll say this much. I still have fun playing this game. There`s times where it can be disappointing at the fault of myself, the community or lag. I wouldn`t have it any other way really. I still enjoy it.

(Moving this to the general discussions that isn`t about skins.)

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 3:56 am 

I'm going to do the same as TheIceFox, for the same reasons.

Same as TheIceFox, here's my thoughts on the game.
Spoiler:
I still enjoy playing this game as well. While it's not the same as it was before, it, nonetheless, is still a quite enjoyable game. I think if more things were updated, and the login was fixed, I think we would have so many less problems. But, I think since Feng has stopped updating, the game is slowly losing it's luster. Yes, it's getting more people joining, but an equal, if not greater amount is quitting. A modder I know quit a while ago, and his mods weren't even abusive. It's just sad that I have to see a game like this die 4 years after I started playing it...

I guess it can't be helped, but the game, as most everyone knows by now, IS slowly dying. The only thing that can be done is for another version of it to be released, but we all know Feng has quit updating it. Now, it's only up to modders to either make the game better with their own mods, or just try to destroy it once and for all. It's really sad that it has to happen, but it's what's happening. All of the game crashes aren't bugs. It's a guy named N00l(somethingorother, I don't remember the rest of it) running around using Guardian Nathan's crash to kill the game. Sadly, it's not just that guy either. People are trying to kill this game, instead of leave it be, and let others discover their own issues.

I feel like that was a bad ending, but... It's all I got.

As for the community...
Spoiler:
The community is just getting worse and worse. Players are degrading others every day, and it's gone from a game of fun, just playing around with no real goal other than trying to enjoy yourselves, to who has the best mod, who has the best high score, who's in the 'Pro' league of players, who's a noob (redundant term, I don't like using it, but that's something I can't avoid here), and just all around who should just go away. Aside from those, it's actually a beautiful little community. Artists can express themselves freely with their skins, people can enjoy making their beautiful, amazing maps, and so many people can enjoy their roleplays. But, the 'dark side' of the community is slowly becoming more common. People are caring less and less to help others, and would rather be jerks to them, and tell them to get good on their own, and then proceed to trash-talk them, and make them feel bad about themselves because they aren't as good as some of the people in the game.

While I understand Ice's cries to recognize the guests, I know it's never going to happen. Too many people just don't like seeing the name anymore. The only way to fix this would be to create a mod that doesn't allow the basic GUEST[Random number] name, and instead makes a random, non-guest name. Even then, that's hard (For me anyways, I wasn't really taught much modding-wise), because you have to change the basic feed (The GUEST part) to something, and then change the RNG to shove a random name in there. Even then, the names would be limited. It's just a fact that we really can't change anymore.

However, the community still has some amazing players, who aren't even as good as some of the 'Pro' players. But that doesn't matter, because they're nice. I know it's late on the fact, but I was introduced to the Vanilla client back in my Freshman year of High School (Four, almost five years ago). I thought it was the most fun game I had played yet, aside from Halo, because it was really just enjoyable. The maps were amazing to me, and everything was just fun. Now, it's just this mess of things that people want to happen, that people are doing, and it's just no longer the same anymore. I mean, it's hard to even find a person who just doesn't want to be a jerk just because you have an opinion that differs from them. When I started playing, I'd join a random server, and I'd end up talking with a random person about my day, and I'd feel better for it, because they were nice about it. Now, if you try to do that, everyone just tells you to buzz off, and that no one cares.

I feel like the community is dying, but in the same way, I feel it's still alive. In the end, the only thing we can do is just play, and if there's crashing attacks, hide in the RC Private servers, or at worst, the Custom Connection servers. Some of the guilds these days are even mean altogether, but I honestly think I've found some of the best ones. (I feel like I'm getting off topic here...) I've made great friends (and have found a partner) through this small community. The only thing I can hope for right now is that it improves, and things stop revolving around your skill at the game. It's not okay to judge someone just because they can't play the game. But, there's nothing we can do about it, because there's no way to just ban someone from the game.

In any case, I feel like I've said enough, so I'll stop here.

As a summary, it's still fun playing this game. But the community is getting harsher and harsher daily, and now it's about who has the better mod, and if you can't figure out most of the stuff for making one yourself, you're left behind. Other than that, it's still an awesome game, and I hope that it's updated again someday.

Note: I couldn't figure out how to color my spoilers, so... RIP me.

Spoiler:
Known Guilds:
  • .:OpTix:.
  • |Fallen Angels|
  • PureBloods
  • Velocity
  • Otaku,
  • Xcution
  • Dawn of Eternity
  • TheUnidentifiedRoses
  • Night Raid

Spoiler:
Highest Scores
  • 4811; Tradby - Blade.
  • 4315; Hydra - AHSS.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 6:49 pm 
Veteran Map Maker

TheIceFox wrote:
I`m not too sure how long my response will be so I`ll be putting it in a spoiler in case it`s too long.

My thoughts on the game itself.

Spoiler:
I still enjoy it. You can`t experience the same thing twice. There`s a few different maps and game modes even without RC, different titans of different sizes, and a choice between blades and AHSS. Add in RC or AC and you can change the modes however and whenever you like. You can even make your own maps for even more variety. I still play almost daily and for hours on end. I still find new ways to move around and hook things in different spots for different angles of flight and kill titans in different ways from different positions and speeds. (Over the head and flying behind with AHSS are always fun to land). With all that said I haven`t even done Annie and Colossal titan maps that often so I have more I can do in the future as well.

I`ve played AoTTG since early 2014 so I`ve been able to make an official account in the game. That also means, I`ve seen the decline of the game over time with the email servers going down bringing legit accounts as well and eventually the game`s last update to date early 2015.

The game isn`t perfect. There`s many glitches within it. You can get grabbed as your hook hits something and fall out of the world among other things. Lag between players is also an issue that can`t really be helped, but I know at least one person reading this would want it to be mentioned anyway. Plus as stated a moment ago, the game isn`t being updated anymore. This is a turnoff for most people because they`ve either played for a long amount of time and want a change, they`re new and want to see more from Feng, or they`re just wanting to see the game improved overall with more characters. I do understand what they`re wishing and I somewhat wonder what would come from an update.

Mostly because I don`t see much that could be done at this point to change the gameplay besides some bug fixes. In terms of models and textures I do see a lot that could be updated. As someone that makes skins I really dislike the male casual models. They look really strange to me and the textures for them wrap in a way that doesn`t make sense to me. That is mostly my fault however so it isn`t important here.

There have been mods for this game for years. Ones to boost your character to unfair levels, mods to kill and ruin the game for others, mods to stop abusive mods from effecting them, mods to stop people from even being able to host servers for long amount of times. I`ve seen just about all of them. The fact mods are still being made mostly shows that the game is still being acknowledged in one way or another. I don`t feel like most of them are necessary but I also know there`ll be no way to stop them. Mods are unfortunately hardwired into the game at this point. Good or bad, they`ll be here to stay.

One positive to all of these mods was the skinning mods. (Basically just RC with clones following after.) It brought a bit more life to the game with people making skins for other players, and giving birth to Aotskins. This game is the only one where you can officially say; "As Spiderman with flames coming from my waist, I went around killing multiple giant Dora the Explorer, Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario/Luigi with a keyblade, and a Leek." People just accepted that and tried to make up their own crazy stories. Which brings me to my next spoiler.

How I feel about the community.
Spoiler:
When I first joined AoTTG I didn`t really know much about what was going on. My ex girlfriend had showed me the game but only played with me a few times. I didn`t get into public servers until two weeks after she had showed me the game. When I did play in public servers I always had somebody to talk to when I joined. It was never about doing things alone. It was most often us working together to see how fast we could kill all 10 titans in city or if we could survive the crawlers in forest. It was a group of people having fun.

Now days, It`s about how well you can do in game. If you`re able to 3k in forest. Talking between players isn`t as common and when you do see it it`s a 'pro' player waiting for the guests to die, insults from somebody for random reasons, guests asking to be revived or for the other players to die which also can come from players with names, or even guests entering a server and immediately typing "plz no kick". It`s gotten that bad. Even
TheBellFox attempted to bring attention to the issues with guests. They`re people too. I won`t go into detail about it but you can view her post by clicking her name.

I don`t like how the community is turning out. You can almost always find a server with one person yelling and complaining about lag, how 'terrible' other players are, or how "Feng needs to get his (Censored) together and update the (Censored) game already." On top of all of this, there`s the issues with mods now. People will use them to kick players ranging from guests to AHSS just for joining a server or just anybody for 'kill stealing' a titan they weren`t even near.

Turning the 'acceptable' mods into abusive ones is another problem. For a random example, SLB is a clone of RC mod. The creator took most assets from random mods and threw them into their own mod. (Even the Aottg mod creator wikia doesn`t give him much attention or respect for making it.) There`s so many mods that will continue to pop up that nobody will be able to play without seeing one.

As a closing to this I will end on a more positive note. Because of this game`s community I`ve met some amazing people. They`ve helped me start making art again after the 4 years I had stopped, I made some amazing friends who I know will be around for many more years, and I wouldn`t be here without them. Seeing kind people may be rare now days but when you find the "Diamond in the rough" you`re almost guaranteed a new friend. I love the times I`m able to talk with people without damage or insults constantly flying. I hope to see more people like that one day.

As a summary I`ll say this much. I still have fun playing this game. There`s times where it can be disappointing at the fault of myself, the community or lag. I wouldn`t have it any other way really. I still enjoy it.

(Moving this to the general discussions that isn`t about skins.)

Hey, I think it's a bit too late to know you but.... I can totally feel how you are feeling.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2016, 7:07 pm 
Veteran Map Maker

MoeMeow wrote:

Spoiler:
I still enjoy playing this game as well. While it's not the same as it was before, it, nonetheless, is still a quite enjoyable game. I think if more things were updated, and the login was fixed, I think we would have so many less problems. But, I think since Feng has stopped updating, the game is slowly losing it's luster. Yes, it's getting more people joining, but an equal, if not greater amount is quitting. A modder I know quit a while ago, and his mods weren't even abusive. It's just sad that I have to see a game like this die 4 years after I started playing it...

I guess it can't be helped, but the game, as most everyone knows by now, IS slowly dying. The only thing that can be done is for another version of it to be released, but we all know Feng has quit updating it. Now, it's only up to modders to either make the game better with their own mods, or just try to destroy it once and for all. It's really sad that it has to happen, but it's what's happening. All of the game crashes aren't bugs. It's a guy named N00l(somethingorother, I don't remember the rest of it) running around using Guardian Nathan's crash to kill the game. Sadly, it's not just that guy either. People are trying to kill this game, instead of leave it be, and let others discover their own issues.

As for the community...
Spoiler:
The community is just getting worse and worse. Players are degrading others every day, and it's gone from a game of fun, just playing around with no real goal other than trying to enjoy yourselves, to who has the best mod, who has the best high score, who's in the 'Pro' league of players, who's a noob (redundant term, I don't like using it, but that's something I can't avoid here), and just all around who should just go away. Aside from those, it's actually a beautiful little community. Artists can express themselves freely with their skins, people can enjoy making their beautiful, amazing maps, and so many people can enjoy their roleplays. But, the 'dark side' of the community is slowly becoming more common. People are caring less and less to help others, and would rather be jerks to them, and tell them to get good on their own, and then proceed to trash-talk them, and make them feel bad about themselves because they aren't as good as some of the people in the game.

While I understand Ice's cries to recognize the guests, I know it's never going to happen. Too many people just don't like seeing the name anymore. The only way to fix this would be to create a mod that doesn't allow the basic GUEST[Random number] name, and instead makes a random, non-guest name. Even then, that's hard (For me anyways, I wasn't really taught much modding-wise), because you have to change the basic feed (The GUEST part) to something, and then change the RNG to shove a random name in there. Even then, the names would be limited. It's just a fact that we really can't change anymore.

However, the community still has some amazing players, who aren't even as good as some of the 'Pro' players. But that doesn't matter, because they're nice. I know it's late on the fact, but I was introduced to the Vanilla client back in my Freshman year of High School (Four, almost five years ago). I thought it was the most fun game I had played yet, aside from Halo, because it was really just enjoyable. The maps were amazing to me, and everything was just fun. Now, it's just this mess of things that people want to happen, that people are doing, and it's just no longer the same anymore. I mean, it's hard to even find a person who just doesn't want to be a jerk just because you have an opinion that differs from them. When I started playing, I'd join a random server, and I'd end up talking with a random person about my day, and I'd feel better for it, because they were nice about it. Now, if you try to do that, everyone just tells you to buzz off, and that no one cares.

I feel like the community is dying, but in the same way, I feel it's still alive. In the end, the only thing we can do is just play, and if there's crashing attacks, hide in the RC Private servers, or at worst, the Custom Connection servers. Some of the guilds these days are even mean altogether, but I honestly think I've found some of the best ones. (I feel like I'm getting off topic here...) I've made great friends (and have found a partner) through this small community. The only thing I can hope for right now is that it improves, and things stop revolving around your skill at the game. It's not okay to judge someone just because they can't play the game. But, there's nothing we can do about it, because there's no way to just ban someone from the game.

As a summary, it's still fun playing this game. But the community is getting harsher and harsher daily, and now it's about who has the better mod, and if you can't figure out most of the stuff for making one yourself, you're left behind. Other than that, it's still an awesome game, and I hope that it's updated again someday.

Hey stay strong brother, it is really a pity that I am too late to meet you. I am still believing there will be certain 'hope' for this game. Coz haters who r trying to crash the game all day long will finally get their own life. Coz it is way too boring to crash a game day by day, even a year right? But it will be still fun to play 1,2,3,4years if you feel fun in the game, and you won't get tired. Imo people who can understand the enjoyment will keep playing to explore, create and develop new gamemodes. I still can see many different kinds of map makers contributing the community, and the power never dropped. Their map making skills are getting better and better. And obviously map makers won't insult others' maps coz our main purpose is to develop more and more interesting, amazing maps for fellow players, share the happiness and appreciate others' works and learn from each other. That's the only reason why they could be able to make better and better maps. If they don't have the faith to share, they won't have such great patience to spend days and days to make simply one map. Unlike killing titans, imo there is nth to show off. How people judge good or bad is simply whether they can enjoy the maps, not how well map makers can play a game. Maybe they wont be that 'skill oriented' players(some are still pro tho), imo custom map community is really a great hope for the game. As part of the community, I will still work hard with them.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 8:51 am 

wonkit wrote:
I remember falling in love with this game back when the titans still had their chunky "tofu" models. I also remember falling back into love with the game after I had found about the RC Mod and its skinning community.

At this point however, although I hold nostalgia for both the game itself and the aotskins, I just cannot enjoy either nearly as much as I did before. So I must ask. How do you guys feel about the game at this point?

It's still lit my nigga

PostPosted: October 31st, 2016, 11:19 pm 

cowcowtony wrote:
MoeMeow wrote:

Spoiler:

As for the community...
Spoiler:

Hey stay strong brother, it is really a pity that I am too late to meet you. I am still believing there will be certain 'hope' for this game. Coz haters who r trying to crash the game all day long will finally get their own life. Coz it is way too boring to crash a game day by day, even a year right? But it will be still fun to play 1,2,3,4years if you feel fun in the game, and you won't get tired. Imo people who can understand the enjoyment will keep playing to explore, create and develop new gamemodes. I still can see many different kinds of map makers contributing the community, and the power never dropped. Their map making skills are getting better and better. And obviously map makers won't insult others' maps coz our main purpose is to develop more and more interesting, amazing maps for fellow players, share the happiness and appreciate others' works and learn from each other. That's the only reason why they could be able to make better and better maps. If they don't have the faith to share, they won't have such great patience to spend days and days to make simply one map. Unlike killing titans, imo there is nth to show off. How people judge good or bad is simply whether they can enjoy the maps, not how well map makers can play a game. Maybe they wont be that 'skill oriented' players(some are still pro tho), imo custom map community is really a great hope for the game. As part of the community, I will still work hard with them.

Honestly, there is a slight hope for this game, even though many others are being released because of this one. The main issue is, in my opinion, Parrot's Vivid Assassin mods, the Tokyo Ghoul mod, and the HyperCannon, even though it's rarely seen. Otherwise, the other modders are slowly quitting the game. I remember LinktheHylian stating that he quit at one point, and now, if I remember correctly, he's even quit modding.

As for the Vivid-Assassins, and the other one's I see being the main threat, they're fairly easy to deal with after you get experienced in modding. I did this just by creating an always open in game GUI to track who joins, and if it's a Vivid, Tokyo Ghoul, or Cannon, they're automatically kicked.

Don't worry, CowCowTony. I'm not done in yet, haha. I just need my occasional breaks from the game, because it does get boring. Then I come back and get entertained once more with the game.

Spoiler:
Known Guilds:
  • .:OpTix:.
  • |Fallen Angels|
  • PureBloods
  • Velocity
  • Otaku,
  • Xcution
  • Dawn of Eternity
  • TheUnidentifiedRoses
  • Night Raid

Spoiler: