All times are UTC

Should basic spam maps (1-7K, Cannon) be allowed?
Yes, absolutely. It's unfair to limit this site's creative freedom based on arbitrary standards. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but only if the map script is decidedly unique in nature, and discernable from a copy of another, similar map. 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
Undecided. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
No, but I would be willing to accept any arguments for their legality. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Absolutely not. They require minimal effort to create and can easily be copied, edited and/or spammed for Thanks. 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: The Trouble With Spam Scripts
PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 3:54 am 
Newbie Map Maker

Medals: 1
Hey there, Griffinbound here. Gather around, boys and girls, because an issue is coming to light regarding map scripts.

As many of you have likely seen, Map Scripts is littered with scripts commonly referred to as "k maps." These are map scripts that include variations of the same idea: randomly placed tower objects across an open map area for the purpose of scoring high-damage Titan kills. There are a lot of these maps--42, to be precise (and that number only includes the threads listed as "k" in the title; one of which actually had a lot of effort put into it, and one of which was made as a parody of k maps in general, so this brings the current known total of k maps made with minimal effort to about 40). See the issue here?

And that's not all. RiceCake has recently added functioning cannon models to the map editor with the most recent mod update, coded by RiceCake, modeled by meecube, textured by TheBellFox, and thought up by yours truly (wink wonk). Awesome! right? You're not wrong; having working cannons is awesome. What isn't awesome is that this update is providing for the existing issue of k map spam to be compounded by--yep, you guessed it--basic, low-effort cannon maps.

7 of such maps have been posted already, and while a couple have some thought put in, what's going to happen is clear, as this is a mere echo of the k map hype. Mind you, this means that 7 of these maps were posted within a day of the update, whereas k maps have gradually floated in since December, when the map editor was released.

THE ISSUE: People are posting map scripts with an embarassingly low amount of content to them, which can easily be made by others wishing to do the same for Thanks.

THE SOLUTION: The institution of stricter guidelines regarding what may and may not be posted, in the form of a moderator-determined "minimum content threshold" checks. Sounds a little Orwellian, I admit, but the fact that these maps are allowed to propagate is an insult to those that put enormous amounts of time and effort into what they create for the community, such as delta297, RicoZoe, and cowcowtony.

Comments? Concerns? Leave them below, and be sure to leave an entry for the poll.

Hey there, Griffin here. I make map scripts, but I'm currently unable to take any more requests or work on those already placed, as I'm simply too busy. If you happen across any of my scripts, please leave a Thank!

Post subject: Re: The Trouble With Spam Scripts
PostPosted: July 6th, 2015, 7:18 am 

I agree, no effort is being put in, nothing original is coming from them, for whatever reason here, people are obsessed with seeing those "ks" I personally don't see the interest, so these maps in general I don't even look at, but knowing there are 40 of the same rehashed pieces of crap on this site, honestly amazes me, I hope they remove the other 39, and keep just one, (excluding the 2 you talked about prior) and I have seen these cannon maps, can't wait to see the same thing, where a couple of cannons are placed in an open map, just to shoot titans ~ I hope people try to do what I have started to attempt doing, and that is making a tower defense thing ~ either way, I agree on the restrictions of what can be posted,

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 5:56 am 

[REDACTED]

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 7:33 am 
Newbie Map Maker

[REDACTED]

Hey there, Griffin here. I make map scripts, but I'm currently unable to take any more requests or work on those already placed, as I'm simply too busy. If you happen across any of my scripts, please leave a Thank!

Last edited by Griffinbound on July 12th, 2015, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 3:20 pm 
Newbie Artist

brokenrail wrote:
Not everyone has skills given to them by god to make maps for a browser game.

Yeah it's so sad that placing objects in a map takes so much talent and skill

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 6:51 pm 

@Griffinbound,
Alright, I guess I will apologize for being hostile.
And for comparing this to skins.
And insinuating crap.
And anything else that I said that could possibly offend anyone or just sounded dumb.

Honestly, after thinking this over and getting a bit of a better explanation, my opinion has swayed a little.
I do agree with your view on this. We have too many. It would be great to have some better guidelines.

Anyways, I've gone and removed my opinion from my first post so that everyone can just carry on with their day.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2015, 8:01 pm 
Newbie Map Maker

I completely understand, friend, no harm done. Have a good one, and feel free to leave an entry in the poll.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2016, 8:00 am 

To me the players being obsessed with 1-7k are like like gamers who play FPS games they obsess over having a good kill/death ratio.Everyone just focuses on kills than completing the objectives or playing the game the way it's supposed to be.Sure you might be able to score over five thousand point kills but what about helping your teammates when they get grabbed and they need your help.This principle apples the same way AHSS abusers except it's using the class to teamkill non AHSS players when the AHSS was meant to be used as a support class.Now I agree one hundred percent of your statement K maps have require very little effort and can easily be duplicated for wrongful agendas that stand against this sites Guidelines.But I don't think we should just flat put up a sign that says 1Kmaps are banned from being posted because it stands against some map designers creative liberties and only maps that have intricate unique designs should be allowed similar to CowCowTonys k maps are.