All times are UTC

Post subject: Real Scale City
PostPosted: May 9th, 2015, 7:00 pm 

Samon's Real Scale City

So here's the story.
I started making this map as a test, and for fun. I was interested in how it would be like to play on a map that was actually scaled correctly with your character, where a door to a building isn't six times larger than Levi.

But as I made most of the inner city, I realized it's actually kinda fun to play, so I finished it completely and ended up with a high quality up to scale city. I didn't have the intention of uploading it, until a friend told me to do it recently, so here we are.

Code
The code was too big to paste in a spoiler, so here's a link to the text file on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/zLJe2JZ1

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Now let's talk a little about how to play this map shall we?

Titan Scale (VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

First off, since the map is up to scale with the humans, so should the titans be, otherwise you would have massively oversized titans trampling all over your hopes and dreams.

So when you start off the game you should use the size command; /mode size 0.2 1
That is the correct scale in the anime

Trust me, I did the math, it was a little funny to me too, because as it turns out the smallest possible titans in the normal map are the largest ones in real scale.

So anyway, once you set the titans to the right size you can go off playing it in several modes.

1. Survival

I intended the map to be played in survival mode, simply because it is impossible to find the little titans if they don't come to you. So just set it to 5 random starting titans, and make it so they come in waves.

The point of survival, is to defend the city from incoming titans.
The way I imagined it lore-wise is that it is a small town inside Wall Maria, right after the fall. Unfortunately for the town, it didn't get the warning on time and now the local garrison has to protect the townsfolk from incoming titans.

2. PvP

The map was finished before the new game mode where the humans fight AHSS got out, but as it turned out it fits the map perfectly. I tested playing the map both with the bomb pvp mode and the AHSS pvp mode and it works just fine.

In fact, it works better then fine, because as we all know the AHSS pvp is impossible to do mid air, and focuses on ground combat, and that is something this map excels at. You will end up fighting each other in high quality streets with lots of detail, trying to hide and seeking your enemies instead of just flying around the cave waiting for the annoying AHSS player to run out of ammo.
Trust me, PvP is one of the strong sides of this map.

3. Role-play and Easter egg hunt

Last but not least, role-play. The map was made to be realistic, and I took my sweet time with the details, so if you are in this sort of thing you should find it very fun to play.

Also, I set hid a bunch of details around the map to see if you can find them. Whoever manages to find all of my easter eggs will be awarded an honorary potato.

List of Samon's neat little hiding places:
Spoiler:
The Graveyard

House under an arc

A broken arc

Well
Note: There are more wells, then just one

Gazebo

Double gazebo

Above ground gazebo
Somebody had to hire the slightly more special architect.

The Monumental cannon

The Monument to the fallen

The Arboretum

The Fountain

The Classical Street
For the nostalgic players

The spawn castle
I'd like to see you find this one

Also, features a handy little titan lunch box!

Differences

I just wanted to take another minute of your time, to note a few main gameplay differences from the normal map.

1. 3DMG usage
Trust me when I say this, using 3DMG on this map is much MUCH harder then on the normal one. This map is a 3DMG challenge for all AOTTG players.

If you are into challenging yourself, and you believe yourself to be good at 3DMG then this map is for you. If you can maneuver the city and look cool while doing it, I take my hat off to you.

2. Titan Fighting (DUH)
Not sure how to describe this, but fighting titans a lot different.

It's much harder not to land on the ground, since you will be so close to it, and its much easier to look cool.
I, myself, am unsure whether its a gameplay improvement or a flaw, but you will find yourself looking cool as hell when you use special abilities.
Update
I did a lot of playtesting, and I found that titan fighting is actually quite harder and more challenging then usual. For those players who are, like me, bored fighting easy titans, might have a good time fighting on this map.
I think one of the main reasons why these titans are harder to kill is because you can't really use the ordinary reel tactics but instead have to rely on aiming, which is harder because they are smaller targets.

Lastly, I just want to say, have fun and tell me what you think!

ALSO, the map has a very high object count, so expect a huge massive lag spike at the beginning of each round. It should pass after a few seconds however, if you aren't playing on a wooden calculator.

Update #1
I moved the spawn point so its no longer at the highest tower in the city where it used to be. Now you spawn near the edges of the city, depending on which team you are.
The gas refill station, however, is still located in the middle of the city, near the highest tower.

Update #2
I couldn't make a video, because I myself am playing on a potato PC, and whenever I tried it turned out laggy and really low res. Instead, I uploaded some more screenshots for you to enjoy.

Last edited by Samon on June 15th, 2015, 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Real Scale City
PostPosted: May 9th, 2015, 11:11 pm 
Veteran Member

Impressive,although you should make a video to give the viewer more images of the map.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 10th, 2015, 9:18 am 

Sorry, my computer is not capable of making any normal quality video, so I added some screenshots instead.

If somebody else were to make a video about the map, if they liked it, I would put it here. But for now I think the screenshots should suffice.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 5:37 am 

I wanna ask something .. !! HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU MADE THIS SCRIPT SO BIG?! I tried making but the ground in too small!

add me on FB,www.facebook.com/xenohk/