All times are UTC

Post subject: Map Creation - Norwaydude's way
PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 12:43 am 
Newbie Map Maker

Medals: 1
I will be trying to explain how I make maps with the editor, prepare to get confused!
Keep in mind this is the way learned to make maps, this isn't how it should be done

The steps I usually take:

1. Have an idea, drawn it and try planning ahead
(starting ahead and placing random objects is usually a waste of time and effort when it probably will get scrapped)

2. Start making the basic design, place the biggest props first, for example the area around spawn
(This is making the props around spawn load first, so people don't fly off into spawning objects. Details come later, working on something detailed stuff might not match up with something you work on later)

3. Make certain details that is important, like doors, landscape, houses etc.

4. The smaller details
(probably a bit extreme, but I mean smaller objects that takes a lot of picking. It also helps me with my sad laptop when prop count gets high, it slows down the game when I view the map script on the editor. I just keep it open while working, props won't fly all over the place -3-)

Tips and tricks:
If stuff go wrong, continue step 1, or try again later, or start over
Do not rush, art cannot be rushed :V
Use Google if you need ideas
Ask people for help
Test your map
Learn from others *cough*Syeo*cough*Griffinbound ~
Be careful with textures, or it'll look messy

Better safe than sorry:

Save OFTEN on many different text files, keep the saves numbered or named
If you are building on a map and got different ideas how it should be made, create them on different files. Mark them with a - so you know this is a save that got a big change or important. For example, I name and number mine with HellValley -> 1 2 3 4- 5 6 7 etc~

If you feel something goes wrong or feels wrong, dont continue, go back and rethink

Example:

Spoiler:

I planned to make a row of houses that gets taller with each row behind, but too much work.
And it would probably get too messy

Duplication: (Not recommended)

Duplication is mostly used for details, objects made of several props, or recreate a certain colored object you can't recreate with the color sliders

An example of a prop in the script: base,aot_supply,-9.791811,0.05789218,-25.27538,0,0.9999999,0,0.0003592975;
This explains what prop it is, location, texture and color(do not edit, this can bug out the object(s))
Copying that script and pasting it will copy it, and exact copy will be made INSIDE the same prop, know what and where you copied a prop

I use the aot_supply to create markers in the script to know what to copy between
Know how many times you need to copy the object, copying them too many times increase the load time, removing them by hand takes time.

Accurate building:

This is for tiny details, not ment for people who's still learning how to use the editor
This is just me being overly picky, not really needed
I will try to explain, add screenshots if I can

First I started with making simple cylinder, made very large so you can see it's not actually a circle. I then had a 10 long cuboid lined up to a side of the cuboid, then do that 7 more times on the other sides. So when I set them wall to wall, they will form a mostly perfect octagon.

Spoiler:

For the seats, I lined overly wide cuboids that are lined up after the octagon, did that to all 8 sides, copied all seats several times(so I can just drag them where they are needed)

Spoiler:

To get the seats lined up at same height and width with the help of a untextured cuboid with a certain size, each row of seat, lined up carefully (This Takes Time)

Spoiler:

Last edited by Norwaydude on February 4th, 2015, 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Map Creation - Norwaydude's way
PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 4:51 am 
Newbie Artist

For some of my maps, I use the prop duplication in a slightly different way. I copy, then I add a constant value to a certain modifier in the script. I figure out how that moves the object, and I set about cloning. This is precisely how I made apartments in my currently unnamed WIP map. Still, that was trial and error to get correct locations and not recommended in any way.

I made skins to get to a colored name. Now they come very slowly.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2015, 8:24 pm 
Newbie Map Maker

Cerryl wrote:
For some of my maps, I use the prop duplication in a slightly different way. I copy, then I add a constant value to a certain modifier in the script. I figure out how that moves the object, and I set about cloning. This is precisely how I made apartments in my currently unnamed WIP map. Still, that was trial and error to get correct locations and not recommended in any way.

Cool, must have taken a lot of time

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 3:02 am 

Norwaydude wrote:
An example of a prop in the script: base,aot_supply,-9.791811,0.05789218,-25.27538,0,0.9999999,0,0.0003592975;
This explains what prop it is, location, texture and color(do not edit, this can bug out the object(s))

Editing the script itself is a hazardous task as you said. Only certain parts of it can be tampered without the undesirable consequences. Were talking about specifications with decimal values like this 0.7088323.

I'm actually deciphering this given codes for those who would like to attempt to have a more accurate measurement in their props. I have started with a basic tutorial here = http://aotskins.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3456

Nice demonstration for Halloween's arena! Like you, I start measuring by adding guide blocks. Only thing is, I copy the Z coordinate of one material to the other copies of it.

I do believe that your example supply point line has no texture or color code in it. The codes in this line are just the x, y, z coordinates as well as the rotation values of the supply point in the plane. There are also parts in the code that are naturally generated with the object and will have little to no difference if tampered with. I'll have to do some testing.

........I'm getting too much into this...

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 4:28 am 
Newbie Map Maker

delta297 wrote:
Norwaydude wrote:

Editing the script itself is a hazardous task as you said. Only certain parts of it can be tampered without the undesirable consequences. Were talking about specifications with decimal values like this 0.7088323.

I'm actually deciphering this given codes for those who would like to attempt to have a more accurate measurement in their props. I have started with a basic tutorial here = http://aotskins.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3456

Nice demonstration for Halloween's arena! Like you, I start measuring by adding guide blocks. Only thing is, I copy the Z coordinate of one material to the other copies of it.

I do believe that your example supply point line has no texture or color code in it. The codes in this line are just the x, y, z coordinates as well as the rotation values of the supply point in the plane. There are also parts in the code that are naturally generated with the object and will have little to no difference if tampered with. I'll have to do some testing.

........I'm getting too much into this...

Yeah, using a resuply as an example was probably a bit wrong :P

Glad to see others play around with the editor and scripts as well :D

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 1:35 pm 
Newbie Artist

What does it mean when it says "customb" instead of "custom" in the script, like customb,tree0,default,1,1,1,1,1,0.1704545,0,1,1,-365.9501,72.76548,402.9713,0,0.9698464,0,0.2437169;

Highest RC PvP Score: 126/2

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 3:29 pm 

SpikeSpiegel wrote:
What does it mean when it says "customb" instead of "custom" in the script, like customb,tree0,default,1,1,1,1,1,0.1704545,0,1,1,-365.9501,72.76548,402.9713,0,0.9698464,0,0.2437169;

I do not really know, though that is what the object "tree0" and "arch1" uses. It is necessarily the same as custom though it only works with these 2 objects. Check out my tutorial here to understand. http://aotskins.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3456