All times are UTC

Post subject: How multiple people can help in the same map.
PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 4:19 am 
Veteran Member

Editting maps, especially large maps, can be quite daunting and flat-out mind-numbing to the individual. With the lack of multiplayer map editing, the process of map building can take up enormous amounts of time as you are the only one editing it. That's why I'm posting this guide on how to have multiple people work on the same map therby decreasing the workload and making the overall process faster.

I USE NOTEPAD FOR THIS TUTORIAL, HOPE YOU DO AS WELL.

For already worked on maps:

Step 1:
Make a custom game, private if you want, and have those who you are planning to help you join. Come to a agreement on who will build where, like John will build to the left, Abe to the right, and I down the middle.

Step 2: Give everyone a copy of the script of the map and ask them to name it something like "original copy". This will be the original script that they work off of, and save their changes to.

The person who is owner of the map should make TWO copies, one for editting, and one for the original unchanged script, which will be used later on.

Step 3: Everyone should go into their individual map editor and start creating in their designated area/site.

Step 4: When someone or everyone is done, have them send you their new and editted script via forums, PMs, or any other way with some site like pastebin. Whether you wait for everyone to finish, or you to start doing the next step is up to you.

Step 5: After you have the scripts, open all the new and editted AND the original scripts up. This will be the easy, yet a bit time consuming part.
Copy the first line from the ORIGINAL script and open up the new and edited scripts, click edit, click replace, and paste that line into the "Find" bar. Leave the "Replace with" blank so it ends up deleting the item. Do this with all the new and edited scripts you have.
Repeat the process above with line 2 and so on.

Step 6: If you actually did what I said correctly, you should have a untouched original script and a bunch of editted scripts which now only have the blocks that were made by the user who sent it.
Next, it's up to you, you can make a new file to store all the changes or just paste them all in the original script that you have. Copy and paste from the editted scripts the remaining codes to the original script so you now have the map with all additions from all users.

Step 7: If you did everyone as I said, then all that's left is to try out the map!

For fresh clean maps:

Step 1: Either do steps 1 and 2 from above OR make a color coded areas, like blue, red, green, and assign various people for those areas. Then like in step 2, give everybody a copy of it.

Step 2: Have everybody build on their area, and when they are done, if you used color designation areas, tell them to delete them. Otherwise send the script to the master directly.

Step 3: As this is a completly fresh map, all you should have to do is copy the scripts and paste them all into one document without worry of unneeded duplicates.

Step 4: Test it out and see if everything looks good, and you should be ready to go!

Spoiler:

Last edited by xXSB101Xx on May 13th, 2015, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How multiple people can help in the same map.
PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 8:10 am 

Kool, I'll try it sometime with my guild members.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 11:26 pm 
Veteran Member

kano wrote:
if ya use etherpad you can skip step 4 5 and 6
basically it will let you collaborate without having to pm or merge the script it will also tell ya who did what to the document
http://etherpad.org/

would look something like this

You do get rid of steps 4 and 6 yes, as they are already in 1 document but you still need to do step 5 and go through each of their codes and get rid of the duplicates. It does save some time with putting all the codes together, but you still need to go through their code and get rid of the code that was already in the original map to prevent unnecessary duplicated items correct? Unless the helper does that on his/her end and only sends the items that they placed, you will still be forced to go through and edit their scripts.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:09 am 

Ah, sorry to say, but wouldn't it be easier to say, place big squares on the empty map, with different colours, say who edits on what, ask them to remove all the coloured squares, after people are done, and they send their scripts, just copy what they have and add it to yours o: the squares will still be there because you don't remove them until map is done, wouldn't doing this be much quicker? xD

PostPosted: May 7th, 2015, 7:20 am 
Veteran Member

meecube wrote:
Ah, sorry to say, but wouldn't it be easier to say, place big squares on the empty map, with different colours, say who edits on what, ask them to remove all the coloured squares, after people are done, and they send their scripts, just copy what they have and add it to yours o: the squares will still be there because you don't remove them until map is done, wouldn't doing this be much quicker? xD

Yes you would be correct, however only if it's a fresh clean map. If its a map you have previously worked on, then you would have to go through the steps above to prevent unnecessary duplicates from unneeded lag, etc. You can ignore the steps I did above and leave duplicates, however it will increase the stress on your computer for unnecessary reasons, especially with the more people you have editing. More scripts = more duplicates = more CPU drainage that isn't needed.

Of course if your planning to do a new clean map in one go, then you can basically do your method yes.
However if you plan to edit it more, then you will have to use my method or something with a similar effect.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 7th, 2015, 9:58 am 

Ah yeah, true ^^' I didn't think about editing a map with a bunch of people o: oh well xP

But maybe you should say in your original post there is an easier way for building a new map with people o: oh well doesn't matter ^^ I'm sure this has helped alot of people out.