All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ykwii V2.0+ (Open-world map)
PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 7:16 pm 
Veteran Member

SAA wrote:
Have you played on the Jet Ski map? The creator of that map used some interesting mechanics to imitate water. You can move really fast with gas in the water, and there's a fluid feel to it. I don't know how s/he made the "water", but you can ask him/her or try to reverse-engineer the map.

I'd suggest that you replace your solid rivers with the "water" in the Jet Ski map. It would make travel by river much more viable as it would make it much easier to travel from the major cities connected by the river.

Another note: I went inside the giant tree but couldn't get out. There is a one way wall at the very top of the entrance. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose though.

I also couldn't find the exit of the underground cave... I'm just bad at finding things.

---
xXSB101Xx wrote:
Have the fix for the cursor in the glitches section. press x and mouse cursor will appear, you can use that.

I figured that out after posting. I'm still bummed at the lack of a fancy cursor that gives me an object's distance, but it's better than having to use TPS.

Yeah, I played it, and I do know the method on how to do it but it would take some time to implement, as well as I would have to place numerous refill stations along the river.
I plan to make the river lead to an ocean, where there could be the chance of "sharks".

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 8:42 pm 
Newbie Artist

xXSB101Xx wrote:
SAA wrote:
Have you played on the Jet Ski map? The creator of that map used some interesting mechanics to imitate water. You can move really fast with gas in the water, and there's a fluid feel to it. I don't know how s/he made the "water", but you can ask him/her or try to reverse-engineer the map.

I'd suggest that you replace your solid rivers with the "water" in the Jet Ski map. It would make travel by river much more viable as it would make it much easier to travel from the major cities connected by the river.

Another note: I went inside the giant tree but couldn't get out. There is a one way wall at the very top of the entrance. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose though.

I also couldn't find the exit of the underground cave... I'm just bad at finding things.

---
xXSB101Xx wrote:
Have the fix for the cursor in the glitches section. press x and mouse cursor will appear, you can use that.

I figured that out after posting. I'm still bummed at the lack of a fancy cursor that gives me an object's distance, but it's better than having to use TPS.

Yeah, I played it, and I do know the method on how to do it but it would take some time to implement, as well as I would have to place numerous refill stations along the river.
I plan to make the river lead to an ocean, where there could be the chance of "sharks".

that water is just barrier blocks with textured leaves on top

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 1:53 am 

Bugs:

1. Some titans will spawn under map. Usually when there's 50 titans.

2. If you don't aim at a static entity, your hooks won't fire. This is very annoying when fighting titans out in the open. Normally in other maps, there are invisible barriers that you're still aiming at when your fire your hooks. This isn't the case with this map as there are no barriers. 2 Possible solutions:

-1: Feng or RC mod creator simply change some true/false logic that prevents you from firing your hooks when aiming at absolutely nothing.

-2: Add invisible barriers on the edge of the map that go up really high, with an insanely high ceiling that no player can get to.

That's all I have at the moment. Thank you for telling us about this glitch and making this amazing map.

Edit: Bug #2 is the same reason why the cursor gets all buggy. Normal camera works perfectly when inside, but when I aim at nothing, it gets buggy. I'm gonna post this to the Fenglee forums.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 4:32 am 
Veteran Member

SAA wrote:
Bugs:

1. Some titans will spawn under map. Usually when there's 50 titans.

2. If you don't aim at a static entity, your hooks won't fire. This is very annoying when fighting titans out in the open. Normally in other maps, there are invisible barriers that you're still aiming at when your fire your hooks. This isn't the case with this map as there are no barriers. 2 Possible solutions:

-1: Feng or RC mod creator simply change some true/false logic that prevents you from firing your hooks when aiming at absolutely nothing.

-2: Add invisible barriers on the edge of the map that go up really high, with an insanely high ceiling that no player can get to.

That's all I have at the moment. Thank you for telling us about this glitch and making this amazing map.

Edit: Bug #2 is the same reason why the cursor gets all buggy. Normal camera works perfectly when inside, but when I aim at nothing, it gets buggy. I'm gonna post this to the Fenglee forums.

Nice to have some confirmation on these, as I wasn't so sure about number 1 but I have known about number 2 since...well I started XD
But yeah, I actually do plan to delete all the titan spawns and put in fresh ones, in areas I know are good so they don't end up becoming wandering titans on the vast areas where there are no trees, especially around the border towns.

I personally don't want to put limits on the map yet (as it is suppose to be endless) but I will see about adding a ceiling barrier. However, whether it will stay there permanently is up to my future ideas as I am entertaining the thought of a moon ;)

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 5:11 am 

xXSB101Xx wrote:
Nice to have some confirmation on these, as I wasn't so sure about number 1 but I have known about number 2 since...well I started XD
But yeah, I actually do plan to delete all the titan spawns and put in fresh ones, in areas I know are good so they don't end up becoming wandering titans on the vast areas where there are no trees, especially around the border towns.

I personally don't want to put limits on the map yet (as it is suppose to be endless) but I will see about adding a ceiling barrier. However, whether it will stay there permanently is up to my future ideas as I am entertaining the thought of a moon ;)

I posted the bug in the forum.
http://fenglee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9056

While the map should be endless, it should also be playable. Not being able to hook on a titan when you're outside can be really fustrating.

I'd suggest having temporary invisible boundaries/walls on whatever the edge of the map is. It should only be 5 large entites (4 walls and a ceiling), which are easily to change/replace/move etc.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 5:22 am 
Veteran Member

SAA wrote:
xXSB101Xx wrote:

I posted the bug in the forum.
http://fenglee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9056

While the map should be endless, it should also be playable. Not being able to hook on a titan when you're outside can be really fustrating.

I'd suggest having temporary invisible boundaries/walls on whatever the edge of the map is. It should only be 5 large entites (4 walls and a ceiling), which are easily to change/replace/move etc.

I'll go about and add some temporary boundaries to edge of the map tomorrow. However, I might not do any more updates for a bit as I try to do a map request. Probably should be back to editing this map in 2-3 days tops.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 1:16 am 

One of the barriers is currently in the map. It blocks access to the city with the Ferris wheel. On the plus side, I can shoot in that direction without having to worry about the hooks not working.

Until Feng fixes the void glitch, any boundless maps will need to be enclosed in an invisible box for the sake of playability.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2015, 9:16 am 

One of the barriers blocks the temple.

I was wrong, even when aiming at the invisible barriers, hooks can't fire into the open space. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we can't hook on to them? I always get this error message in the dev console: "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" This might give us a better idea on how the hooking is coded.

Initially you said that there were two sets of default barriers; I think I know why. The first set is supposed to stop the player from leaving the map, however, if the player can hook onto them, the game will be played in unintended ways... i.e. player hooking on invisible ceiling/wall. So this barrier is a no contact barrier.

However, if only this barrier exists, then players won't be able to use their hooks when aiming at free space as because since there is no hookable object. So there is a second set of barriers, which are objects that can be interacted with. They are so far out of range that they cannot be hooked on by players in the map, but they are useful as object references. Anyways, the fix might be to change all the no-contact barriers into invisible objects that act as object references.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2015, 5:43 pm 
Veteran Member

SAA wrote:
One of the barriers blocks the temple.

I was wrong, even when aiming at the invisible barriers, hooks can't fire into the open space. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we can't hook on to them? I always get this error message in the dev console: "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" This might give us a better idea on how the hooking is coded.

Initially you said that there were two sets of default barriers; I think I know why. The first set is supposed to stop the player from leaving the map, however, if the player can hook onto them, the game will be played in unintended ways... i.e. player hooking on invisible ceiling/wall. So this barrier is a no contact barrier.

However, if only this barrier exists, then players won't be able to use their hooks when aiming at free space as because since there is no hookable object. So there is a second set of barriers, which are objects that can be interacted with. They are so far out of range that they cannot be hooked on by players in the map, but they are useful as object references. Anyways, the fix might be to change all the no-contact barriers into invisible objects that act as object references.

If the barriers arent working, I would like to get rid of them if you don't mind. They are a bit of a tiring process of checking to make sure they arent affecting anything, and if they arent doing their job, it's just a drain in resources, especially when making this type of map.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: May 29th, 2015, 12:14 am 

xXSB101Xx wrote:
If the barriers arent working, I would like to get rid of them if you don't mind. They are a bit of a tiring process of checking to make sure they arent affecting anything, and if they arent doing their job, it's just a drain in resources, especially when making this type of map.

It's your map. You do what you want. Hey, I'm sorry if I sound a bit... demanding. I just really liked this map and the Void bug just frustrated me to no end. This map is perfect for colossus titans, but you can't fight them because you can't hook even on to the smallest ones in the open.

Anyways, I experimented a bit and changed the barriers to this:

Spoiler:
Code:
custom,cuboid,empty,8000,4000,0,0,1,1,1,100,100,0.06,26200.1406,0.89,0,0.896852,0,0.4423307;
custom,cuboid,empty,4000,4000,0,1,1,1,100,100,1,-75.00361,3299.305,10000.33,0,0.9991411,0,-0.04143784;
custom,cuboid,empty,4000,4000,0,1,1,1,100,100,1,-75.00361,3297.106,-10000.33,0,0.9991411,0,-0.04143784;
custom,cuboid,empty,4000,4000,0,1,1,1,100,100,1,-23499.27,3200.9954,-10000.438,0,0.7315139,0,-0.6818266;
custom,cuboid,empty,4000,4000,0,1,1,1,100,100,1,1148.078,3200.9588,10000.3,0,0.02376787,0,0.9997175;
custom,cuboid,empty,4000,4000,0,1,1,1,100,100,1,10000.28,3293.196,-10131.58,0,0.7038457,0,0.7103528;
custom,cuboid,empty,4000,4000,0,1,1,1,100,100,1,1,-10000.65,3294.712,-10000.64,0,0.6558785,0,0.7548665;

This actually seemed to work. However I just need to make a few adjustments:

1. Making the cuboids invisible instead of an ugly gray. This really is only an issue because you can see them with their current placement.

2. Putting them in the right location to form a perfect box around the map, one is in the city, the other in the temple.

I may or may not do these later depending on my procrastination.