All times are UTC

Post subject: [outdated] DireWolfwere's Toon Style
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 3:54 pm 
Designer

Medals: 1
Please look to my new & improved tutorial instead of this one! This was done with the old models!

I got asked how I do this by this one guy...so...tutorial. ha.

First, go get the UV maps here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51

Or, if you feel like this is better, go get the traced versions (have transparency): viewtopic.php?f=17&t=255

(I use the original ones, and that is what you will see in my tutorial)

---

STEP 1:

Save the UV map of whatever character you want to work on (or just save them all and find the one you need); then open the UV map in your painting program (I use PaintToolSAI, but the steps in this tutorial work for any painting program such as Photoshop, GIMP, or FireAlpaca).

Once the UV map is open, open also the character's original skin. Copy the character's original skin and paste it under the UV map. Either shrink the UV map or stretch the original skin to make them the same size.

Set the UV map layer to layer mode > screen.

STEP 2:

Time to draw the lineart (sometimes I actually do this after STEP 3 (which is coloring)).

Using the UV map as a guideline (and a semitransparent original skin image below) draw in your lineart. It's that simple. ha.

STEP 3:

Color! Use the UV map as guides for this to make sure you don't bleed into/over other parts (that is how you get annoying as fuck floaty bits). Also, make sure you don't leave any unfilled areas or you will get transparent holes in your character.

As you can see in the image below, there are nice flatcolors but no shading yet. You could actually stop here if you wanted to for a nice, simple toon style (but that is not my thing).

At this step, I would recommend loading your skin onto a model to make sure everything lines up properly (while you are still only working in two layers). Save the file as .png (and make sure the resolution is 512 px by 512 px or it may not load...but you probably don't have to worry until there are more details on the image).

To change the resolution (size) of an image in SAI you have to go to Canvass > Change Resolution. It took me forever to figure that out v.v

(I usually do not shrink my images until I am done with them completely because the higher resolution of 1024 is much easier to work in)

STEP 4:

Shading with the layer mode > multiply (make sure to make this a clipping group above your colors layer). Go wild with the shading here. Do whatever you want. I recommend following the default shading on the original skin.

(btw, layer 7 in step 3 and 4 images is a junk layer that I deleted. It is a sketch of the sword that I traced over in order to draw the sword. I am really bad at drawing weapons, so 99% of the time I just trace pictures)

STEP 5:

This is the final step. Make a layer above the multiply layer in Layer Mode > Overlay (this layer is also a clipping layer though). Then use light colors to lighten your image and/or make parts more intense.

Sometimes I use several multiply and overlay layers to finish an image, but with this image I only needed one of each :)

STEP 6:

Go look at your boootyful skeen (and take lots of screenshots with the graphics on max even though that slows down your entire computer to a state where it is just barely functioning).

(I probably should have moved to a sunny spot for the pic...haha. This is a private skin so I will not be sharing it, sorry - not really)

Last edited by DireWolfwere on April 6th, 2015, 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DireWolfwere's Toon Style
PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 4:44 pm 

Thanks for this, maybe now I'll be able to make some decent toon skins ;D

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 4:51 pm 
Designer

carloaf wrote:
Thanks for this, maybe now I'll be able to make some decent toon skins ;D

No problem :)

It's pretty easy once you have the UV maps. My first toon styled skin I still didn't know about the UV maps and let me tell you a thing about that...It probably took me an hour or two just to figure out where the edges of the model were for doing the linearts. *shudders*

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 11:17 pm 
Veteran Artist

Garsp. I think i lub you

DireWolfwere wrote:
It's pretty easy once you have the UV maps. My first toon styled skin I still didn't know about the UV maps and let me tell you a thing about that...It probably took me an hour or two just to figure out where the edges of the model were for doing the linearts. *shudders*

Ughhhhh painful memories of painstakingly restarting the game everytime I wanted to check my skin.

In case I happen to disappear off the face of the earth (again), feel free to use and edit my skins. Be sure to give credit.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2014, 9:33 pm 
Designer

wonkit wrote:
Garsp. I think i lub you

DireWolfwere wrote:

Ughhhhh painful memories of painstakingly restarting the game everytime I wanted to check my skin.

I have done so many skins now (over 20) that I *mostly* remember how everything lines up and sometimes I get daring and complete the entire thing before checking...and sometimes it works xD

Sometimes I punch myself in the face...

PostPosted: October 28th, 2014, 3:45 pm 
Senior Artist

DireWolfwereIsARudeKid wrote:
(I probably should have moved to a sunny spot for the pic...haha. This is a private skin so I will not be sharing it, sorry - not really)

lel

PostPosted: October 28th, 2014, 4:33 pm 
Designer

Ghegi wrote:
DireWolfwereIsARudeKid wrote:

lel

It's true v.v

I am rude. lmao.