All times are UTC

Post subject: Can RC MOD have a future with WEBGL?
PostPosted: July 13th, 2015, 10:52 pm 
Veteran Member

I had this question pop into my head one night. I recalled the author of the rc mod talk about how Feng was gonna replace Unity with Webgl, and how webgl is VERY hard to mod with.

However, by the way he talked about it it sounded VERY hard to mod with WEBGL, but perhaps not impossible?

My point is, can rc mod still have a future, or am I just not understanding coding with WEBGL all that well.

Post subject: Re: Can RC MOD have a future with WEBGL?
PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 1:26 pm 
Veteran Artist

Medals: 1
From what information about it that I've gathered, I'll have to explain from the beginning of what happened, all the way to the end.

The first word on this situation was that WebGL was acquiring Unity, and Unity was going to be completely unusable for Google Chrome. This act has already been set, so it's already passed.

After that, Unity games were supposedly required to upgrade from Unity4, which is what the current Attack on Titan Tribute game, and RC Mod run off of, to Unity5, which is an upgrade to Unity4.

If Feng were to upgrade, the game would stay online and he would continue to receive revenue. If he chose not to upgrade to Unity5, it was thought that it'd be removed from the site entirely, since it seems Unity is no longer supporting Unity4.

On that note, Feng was tasked with either choosing to upgrade to Unity5, or let the game die. RC reported that Feng said he wouldn't upgrade since it wasn't suitable for his project, so we assumed he was staying on Unity4. Because he's staying on Unity4, the game will be taken down by the deadline, which, I am unaware of at this time.

However, if it does eventually go down, RC Mod will continue to go along in a .exe, although it won't be nearly as popular as it was when it was on the website, it would still go on.

I hope I helped, and if anyone sees something in my post that might be wrong, feel free to correct me. ^^ Thank you so much for reading, have a lovely day. ^^

*EDIT* It's awful I forgot the crucial question in your post; Yes, WebGL is apparently very difficult to mod, and it's not very friendly, according to most sources. In the whole sight of things, if Feng had upgraded, it would have gone slow, but Feng's status on what he'll do is basically 'nothing' at this point. So it's thought it'll be thrown offline, but he does want that revenue, so he'll either do something or do nothing. Either way, I imagine that RC Mod will continue on, despite the odds.

Entirely retired. I wish you all well.

Post subject: Re: Can RC MOD have a future with WEBGL?
PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 3:38 pm 
Veteran Member

TheBellFox wrote:
From what information about it that I've gathered, I'll have to explain from the beginning of what happened, all the way to the end.

The first word on this situation was that WebGL was acquiring Unity, and Unity was going to be completely unusable for Google Chrome. This act has already been set, so it's already passed.

After that, Unity games were supposedly required to upgrade from Unity4, which is what the current Attack on Titan Tribute game, and RC Mod run off of, to Unity5, which is an upgrade to Unity4.

If Feng were to upgrade, the game would stay online and he would continue to receive revenue. If he chose not to upgrade to Unity5, it was thought that it'd be removed from the site entirely, since it seems Unity is no longer supporting Unity4.

On that note, Feng was tasked with either choosing to upgrade to Unity5, or let the game die. RC reported that Feng said he wouldn't upgrade since it wasn't suitable for his project, so we assumed he was staying on Unity4. Because he's staying on Unity4, the game will be taken down by the deadline, which, I am unaware of at this time.

However, if it does eventually go down, RC Mod will continue to go along in a .exe, although it won't be nearly as popular as it was when it was on the website, it would still go on.

I hope I helped, and if anyone sees something in my post that might be wrong, feel free to correct me. ^^ Thank you so much for reading, have a lovely day. ^^

*EDIT* It's awful I forgot the crucial question in your post; Yes, WebGL is apparently very difficult to mod, and it's not very friendly, according to most sources. In the whole sight of things, if Feng had upgraded, it would have gone slow, but Feng's status on what he'll do is basically 'nothing' at this point. So it's thought it'll be thrown offline, but he does want that revenue, so he'll either do something or do nothing. Either way, I imagine that RC Mod will continue on, despite the odds.

Ok thanks a lot for the answer!